Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Sunday 26 October 2014_ 01:18:10

Login with username, password and session length

Shop at Amazon

Shop at amazon through this link and help hedgehogs
Any commissions go to funding the hedgehog rescue centre

Search with Google

Ads by Google

Buy a Hedgehog House

buy a hedgehog house
 Help the hedgehog in YOUR Garden
Buy or make a hedgehog House

Donations

You can donate safely and securely by using the paypal service, just click on the button below.

Any amount no matter how small is gratefully accepted and needed to keep the Hedgehog Rescue Centre running

Help and advice

For lots of information about hedgehogs, please visit our main website

http://www.thehedgehog.co.uk

If you can't find what you want or need help or advice then please post a message here and we will help

help hedgehogs
  • If you find a small hedgehog, or one lying out in the day.. DON'T IGNORE IT.. IT NEEDS HELP NOW! not tomorrow.
  • Do not leave it to see if it will go away.
  • Do not stick it under a hedge.
  • Pick it up, put it in a DEEP box or carrier with towels or an old fleece jumper,
  • KEEP IT WARM and quiet.
  • Call a rescue immediately
  • Please do not give it anything to eat until you have spoken to somebody, you can offer it a shallow bowl of water only.
  • Please remember these hedgehogs DO NOT ALWAYS HAVE THE LUXURY OF TIME.

A list of Hedgehog Rescue Centres can be found at:

Check our online Amazon Store for all your Hedgehog needs

Author Topic: Fungus & coconut oil  (Read 2861 times)

Offline gillwrog

• Hoglet
Fungus & coconut oil
« on: Monday 12 January 2009_ 20:41:06 »
Sponsored Adverts

Hi All

Bear with me on this one as it's just an idea.

One of the best ways of getting rid of fungus type things without drugs is pure virgin coconut oil. 

Has anyone ever tried this on hoggies, I know it's ok for dogs and cats but is it ok for hogs?

I've read about people giving their hoggies evening primose oil so I was wondering whether they would go for the coconut.

Would be interested to see if anyone has tried it or knows whether it's ok for spikeys.

Look forward to hearing your opinions on this.

Gill

Offline Mouse

• Global Moderator
  • Current Number of Hedgehogs in care: 1
Re: Fungus & coconut oil
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 January 2009_ 22:32:46 »
I've never tried it Gill but it would definitely be worth a try.  Ali x

Offline Tiggy

• Hoglet
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 January 2009_ 23:20:43 »
That's interesting Gill, I didn't know coconut oil contained anti-fungal properties like Tea Tree oil does.  But I know coconut oil smells much nicer!  :D     As far as I'm aware Primrose oil isn't used to treat fungal infections as it doesn't contain anti-fungal properties, but it is an excellent dry-skin conditioner.

Offline Mouse

• Global Moderator
  • Current Number of Hedgehogs in care: 1
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 January 2009_ 00:11:00 »
That's interesting Gill, I didn't know coconut oil contained anti-fungal properties like Tea Tree oil does.  But I know coconut oil smells much nicer!  :D     As far as I'm aware Primrose oil isn't used to treat fungal infections as it doesn't contain anti-fungal properties, but it is an excellent dry-skin conditioner.

You're right about the anti fungal stuff (or lack of it) in evening primrose oil Tiggy.  It does make hoggies skin nice and moist though and I often put it on their food - or topically on them  :)

I wonder if hoggies lick the coconut oil off if it works from the inside too?  I bet they don't have many skin problems in the Carribean  ;)

Ali x

Offline Derek

• Administrator
    • The Hedgehog
  • Current Number of Hedgehogs in care: 2
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 January 2009_ 07:59:02 »
coconut oil isn't known to be an effective antifungal but is good as a moisturiser for the skin, in dry skin problems

I have used it dry skins but find evening primrose or a plain baby oil more effective (and cheaper)

It is a very light oil so soaks in very quickly
Derek
   Thespykiller How to protect yourself and other  Security Advice
Find out all about the European Wild Hedgehog, what you can do to save it from extinction Hedgehog Rescue

Offline HeatherQ

• Hedgehog
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 January 2009_ 10:02:58 »
Good to keep an eye out for more natural remedies for hoggies, so please carry on with the suggestions Gillwrog.  ;)

Has anyone tried adding Tea tree oil to the Neem oil baths? Was thinking this blend would have the tea tree oil to kill the ringworm spores and the neem oil to treat the dry and itchy skin/scabs. May also cut down on handling and treatments if done all-in-one  ;D

Offline gillwrog

• Hoglet
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 January 2009_ 10:16:03 »
As long as you all think it's safe a might give it a go.

It cured my OH's athletes foot - he took 1 table spoon a day for a week and he's 11 stone - wonder what the dose would be for a 500g hog!

I will get back to you and let you know if it works.

Gill

Offline Derek

• Administrator
    • The Hedgehog
  • Current Number of Hedgehogs in care: 2
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 January 2009_ 10:24:34 »
As long as you all think it's safe a might give it a go.

It cured my OH's athletes foot - he took 1 table spoon a day for a week and he's 11 stone - wonder what the dose would be for a 500g hog!

I will get back to you and let you know if it works.

Gill

I wouldn't use it internally on hogs but as a drop on it is perfectly safe, however I doubt its effectiveness

giving them coconut oil in food or by mouth will just make them poo a lot more
Derek
   Thespykiller How to protect yourself and other  Security Advice
Find out all about the European Wild Hedgehog, what you can do to save it from extinction Hedgehog Rescue

Offline SoftTouch

• Global Moderator
  • I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
    • Hedgehog Bottom
  • Current Number of Hedgehogs in care: Anywhere from 20 to 200
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 January 2009_ 11:56:26 »
Ahhh I was going to ask if it was internal. Nooooooo unless you want poo all up the walls.

Neem and Tea Tree is purely external. Evening Primrose and Garlic oil on their food is OK and seems to help. Gizzy had it and loved it but stank.

Has anyone tried adding Tea tree oil to the Neem oil baths? Was thinking this blend would have the tea tree oil to kill the ringworm spores and the neem oil to treat the dry and itchy skin/scabs.

Mixing Neem and Tea Tree in baths I'd say no. The whole point of using the different ones is to get them with one thing one day and another the next so the fungus doesn't get used to any one thing. Apart from which they both treat the fungus and the dryness, they're not just for one or the other.

Neem is a bit easier to use as it's liquid when warm and is OK on their tummy in small amounts as it soaks straight in. The TT sits on the skin a bit longer.
Gill
Hedgehog Bottom
covering West Berks, Berks, North Hants, South Oxon & East Wilts

Offline gillwrog

• Hoglet
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 January 2009_ 15:56:44 »
ooohno - sorry I meant external use.

My poor hogs would smell like coconuts - better than onion soup though I suppose.

Did you really get them to eat garlic oil ?  Garlic flavoured mealworms ... I wonder how that would go down with my lot.  So going to try that one tonight. ;D

Poor leesie has a bit of a suspicious looking patch on her nose which I've been treating with tea tree oil mixed with almond oil.  Hopefully this won't development into anything worse otherwise it will be onion scented baths for her.

Gill

help hedgehogs and other wildlife in your garden. Buy through Ark Wildlife