Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Tuesday 29 July 2014_ 03:32:16

Login with username, password and session length

Shop at Amazon

Shop at amazon through this link and help hedgehogs
Any commissions go to funding the hedgehog rescue centre

Search with Google

Ads by Google

Buy a Hedgehog House

buy a hedgehog house
 Help the hedgehog in YOUR Garden
Buy or make a hedgehog House

Donations

You can donate safely and securely by using the paypal service, just click on the button below.

Any amount no matter how small is gratefully accepted and needed to keep the Hedgehog Rescue Centre running

Help and advice

For lots of information about hedgehogs, please visit our main website

http://www.thehedgehog.co.uk

If you can't find what you want or need help or advice then please post a message here and we will help

help hedgehogs
  • If you find a small hedgehog, or one lying out in the day.. DON'T IGNORE IT.. IT NEEDS HELP NOW! not tomorrow.
  • Do not leave it to see if it will go away.
  • Do not stick it under a hedge.
  • Pick it up, put it in a DEEP box or carrier with towels or an old fleece jumper,
  • KEEP IT WARM and quiet.
  • Call a rescue immediately
  • Please do not give it anything to eat until you have spoken to somebody, you can offer it a shallow bowl of water only.
  • Please remember these hedgehogs DO NOT ALWAYS HAVE THE LUXURY OF TIME.

A list of Hedgehog Rescue Centres can be found at:

Check our online Amazon Store for all your Hedgehog needs

Author Topic: smelly hedgehogs, how do you control the smell?  (Read 7061 times)

Offline emzy81

• Newly born
smelly hedgehogs, how do you control the smell?
« on: Sunday 31 October 2010_ 11:07:09 »
Id almost forgotten how bad a hedghog smells!  :o now im being reminded ha ha.

I just wondered if you had any tricks/ways to control the smell a little or if its just something that happens?

Offline PoppyBobble

• Hedgehog
Re: smelly hedgehogs, how do you control the smell?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 October 2010_ 11:13:12 »
Hedgehogs do smell, you have to clean regularly. No other way round it I'm afraid!
~The Hedgehog Haven~

Offline Keith D

• Hedgehog
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 October 2010_ 11:13:29 »
Id almost forgotten how bad a hedghog smells!  :o now im being reminded ha ha.
I just wondered if you had any tricks/ways to control the smell a little or if its just something that happens?
Hi

You will get replies from people with more knowledge than me
but i think they will want to know is the smell from the hog itself
or is it indoors in a pen and the smell is poo or pee

if its smelly poo it may be ill
but wait for others please

K/

Offline Derek

• Administrator
    • The Hedgehog
  • Current Number of Hedgehogs in care: 2
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 October 2010_ 11:18:15 »
if the poo is very smelly then they have worms and/or an infection

Yes hedgehog poo smells ( as does all poo)  so they need cleaning out several times a day , but if healthy the smell shouldn't be strong or noticeable

Some foods make it smell stronger than others, Cat food tends to produce strongewr poo than dog fod or cat/kitten biscuits 

Derek
   Thespykiller How to protect yourself and other  Security Advice
Find out all about the European Wild Hedgehog, what you can do to save it from extinction Hedgehog Rescue

Offline emzy81

• Newly born
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 October 2010_ 11:24:20 »
I don't think he is ill as the one I had last year was smelly too. I just wondered if it was because he has a news paper bed and his urine might be reacting with the print?

Ahhh just read your post Derek, I am feeding him wet cat food so maybe thats why  :)

Sorry this has come across as though I didn't think poo would smell hasn't it, Im not someone who doesn't like to get their hands dirty (I volunteer at an animal centre twice a week) and I clean him out very regularly so he is comfortable, I just wondered if anyone had any tips but instead it seems as though im coming across as a 'right girl' !

Offline Pinky

• Hedgehog
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 October 2010_ 11:46:01 »
Hi Ezmy,
When I used to catch my hogs in the garden for weighing i noticed a distinctive pong! I think because the house they were all in with their Mum wasn't clean. But now they are in houses in the garage its pretty much gone. Thay have newspaper all over the floor and I line inside the houses too but I use hay and straw so although much more messy to clean every day as it gets everywhere they always smell of fresh hay. They poo in one place mostly outside and yes first thing in the morning it smells but its never a nasty smell and they are all fed on wet food. Thats animals for you!
Pinky

Offline whitehound

• Hedgehog
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 October 2010_ 12:36:38 »
Apart from their droppings they have varying degrees of sweatiness and hedgehog BO.  I am blessed in that Hodge has no appreciable smell, neither himself nor his droppings, and Samantha and Fred weren't very smelly either; but Miss Piggy stank the place out and Kit was pretty whiffy.

Be thankful.  Hedgehogs are closely related to creatures called gymnures or moon-rats, who are basically spikeless hedgehogs - and whose method of self-defence is to smell so revolting that nothing wants to eat them.  They're said to smell like a sweaty sock stuffed with rotting onions.

Offline bluebell

• Hedgehog
    • Woolsack website
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 October 2010_ 17:04:51 »
I keep a toilet roll near the box of inside ones, and remove poos whenever I notice them. This helps alot.
Knitting and felting woollen welcome cushions for Olympic and Paralympic competitors using British wool. (Please join in and pass it on!)
www.woolsack.org

Offline hoglover!!

• Hedgehog
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 October 2010_ 19:43:51 »
In my experience, the only hogs who smell are ones with infection or wounds.
I've got 5 in at the moment, 2 in the house, and none of them smell at all.
Mind you,They've all had worming treatment and antibiotics.
I clean them out first thing, that's everything including bedding.
They do tend to deposit the odd poop during the daytime too and if I see any I pick them up in a tissue and flush them down the loo.
You may not realize your hog has worms or infection but if it has you will notice it eventually.
It may take something more for it to become evident, perhaps when he's under other stress.
This time of year I'm sure they will all have worms and probably infection too.
I used to worry about giving antibiotics but my story with Bella one if my wild hog visitors stopped me worrying.
 I brought Bella in as a tiny baby November 3 years ago. She had several courses of
antibiotics and was wormed twice in my care.
She still visits, is a picture of health and has only had one tick since she went out.
She built herself up to 1200 g before she went into hibernation last year and she was back in the spring ;).
I would say that If your hog's poo does smell and he's not putting on good amounts of weight then suspect infection.
Good luck.
Patx

Last year i was so pleased that she had babies and brought them to my garden.  She still comes to feed here regularly and has always been in top condition, never even any ticks.

Offline KaL976

• Hedgehog
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 November 2010_ 02:21:35 »
Hedgehogs don't smell unpleasant & neither do their droppings [if they're healthy]
They smell kinda earthy & warm if anything.
I give any I bring in for de-ticking, weighing, etc a good sniff* just to make sure, as people have already mentioned if there's a foul smell it generally means there's a problem.
Indoors it's their food [esp wet] that smells given that the room needs to be 22 degrees constantly & the more hogs you have in the more that's going to be multiplied.

*brought one in a while back now that smelled like it had been rolling in dog muck, [some of them do that apparently] only worse... tried washing it down with warm water & a toothbrush only to discover it had a gaping wound that had become infected where it had been hit with a strimmer.
Took it to Vale the next day who cleaned it up & it promptly gave birth a few days later!
If I hadn't thought it smelled unpleasant & checked it out it would have died along with its babies.
So yeah, give em a good old sniff & get used to what they 'should' smell like :)

help hedgehogs and other wildlife in your garden. Buy through Ark Wildlife