Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Saturday 01 November 2014_ 10:47:41

Login with username, password and session length

Shop at Amazon

Shop at amazon through this link and help hedgehogs
Any commissions go to funding the hedgehog rescue centre

Search with Google

Ads by Google

Buy a Hedgehog House

buy a hedgehog house
 Help the hedgehog in YOUR Garden
Buy or make a hedgehog House

Donations

You can donate safely and securely by using the paypal service, just click on the button below.

Any amount no matter how small is gratefully accepted and needed to keep the Hedgehog Rescue Centre running

Help and advice

For lots of information about hedgehogs, please visit our main website

http://www.thehedgehog.co.uk

If you can't find what you want or need help or advice then please post a message here and we will help

help hedgehogs
  • If you find a small hedgehog, or one lying out in the day.. DON'T IGNORE IT.. IT NEEDS HELP NOW! not tomorrow.
  • Do not leave it to see if it will go away.
  • Do not stick it under a hedge.
  • Pick it up, put it in a DEEP box or carrier with towels or an old fleece jumper,
  • KEEP IT WARM and quiet.
  • Call a rescue immediately
  • Please do not give it anything to eat until you have spoken to somebody, you can offer it a shallow bowl of water only.
  • Please remember these hedgehogs DO NOT ALWAYS HAVE THE LUXURY OF TIME.

A list of Hedgehog Rescue Centres can be found at:

Check our online Amazon Store for all your Hedgehog needs

Author Topic: How high can a fox jump?  (Read 3711 times)

Offline TORBS

• Hedgehog
    • Toni Bunnell's Hedgehog research publications
How high can a fox jump?
« on: Saturday 26 March 2011_ 05:49:08 »
Sponsored Adverts

Just wondering about the ability of foxes to leap a 7 foot fence. Does anyone know if this is possible? I have found one of my hedgies (in my closed-in garden prior to release) with it's back leg almost torn off at the hip. I have never come across any injuries of any kind and have been putting hedgehogs in my garden, prior to release, for the past 20 years. I know there is a fox (probably more than one) living on the allotments not far from the back of my house. I saw it last summer and there are still fox signs around - scats and pigeon kills.
The vet thought it looked like a fox attack, but it might also be a rat as, try as I might, I can't keep them out of the garden. The leg has been amputated and so far it is recovering well. Another, that someone brought in last autumn, which had to have a hind leg amputated, is doing very well and is now 900+g. She will stay with me or go to another secure garden.

Offline hoglover!!

• Hedgehog
Re: How high can a fox jump?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 March 2011_ 08:39:33 »
That's very sad Toni.Poor hoggie.
I've no idea if a fox could scale a 7' fence but I suspect it could.
I had a conversation with a pest controller last week( he is contracted to make regular visits to the building i work in)and happened to ask him how foxes could be kept away from gardens with hedgehogs.
He said that he has heard very good reports of an organic product called, he thinks,Brush off.
I'm lucky that I don't have a fox problem.
Only ever had a visiting fox for a few nights and that was 2 years ago now.
As for rats, i am doubly lucky and don't have them either but I know of people who've had their rabbits attacked by them.
You must be worried about your other hogs now.
Do you have a camera out there?
Patx

Offline Charley

• Hedgehog
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 March 2011_ 09:16:06 »
Hi Toni

Really saddened to hear about your poor hedgehog and I hope he now makes a full recovery following the amputation.

I have no idea about how high a fox can jump but I would guess that it would have no problems in scaling a 7' fence.

Offline Pinky

• Hedgehog
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 March 2011_ 09:37:36 »
I'm so sorry to hear about your hedhehog Toni,  but yes a fox can scale a 7 foot fence! I've seen it with my own eyes :o

I have an almost nightly problem with a fox coming into my garden.

My fence is 6.6" but it sits on concrete gravel boards which have a small gap of about 1cm these make it about 3-4 inches higher on my side but on the otherside of the fence is a public park and the drop is deeper. My fox scales this fence easily both coming in and out of the garden.

Last night I heard something outside the window, it was Mr Fox pinging the plastic on the feeding station again (upside down storage box) trying to get to the wet food inside. He had a really good go at it but failed as I'd reinforced the whole think with slabs of stone and bricks. He then trotted over to Little Mo's pen and pulled at the wire panels but again failed. The pen is reinforced with bricks and tarpaulin over the top. He sniffed around the log pile I've built. He eventually settled for the stale cat biscuits I'd put out for the birds and after seemed to be eating something from holes in the lawn?

He came upto my back door and as the security light came on I had a really good look at him. He was alot smaller than some of the other foxes I've seen but still an adult and his fur and tail were healthy not mangy. He wasn't nervous even when I shone the torch directly onto him and followed him around with the beam, he just carried on looking and sniffing and spraying!

Do female foxes spray too?
Pinky

Offline TORBS

• Hedgehog
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 March 2011_ 10:24:26 »
Thanks, everyone, for this information, albeit rather depressing! I had thought my garden was safe having had no problem for 20+ years. I will have to hope that just maybe it was a rat but it doesn't sound likely.

Offline JULES 1

• Hedgehog
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 March 2011_ 19:50:04 »
Hi Toni

How awful, sadly I have had experience of a fox jumping up and over my 7' wall, thankfully it didn't harm the hogs and unfortunately for the fox it was killed by a car last year and there has been no sign since.  So sorry Toni

Offline Jeepster

• Hedgehog
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 March 2011_ 20:20:32 »
As my garden area is completely open on one side I have foxes everynight (2 regulars). They completely ignore the hogs. To avoid probs I put two small bowls of dog biscuits out which the foxes love. It's enough for them to ignore everything else but not enough to stop them feeding naturally. Pinky - the female is more likely to scent mark. I never interact with the foxes so they are frightened of any noise/movement.

Offline Pat

• Hedgehog
    • My World - Hedgehogs
  • Current Number of Hedgehogs in care: 12 + 1 APH
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 March 2011_ 09:02:19 »
Hi Toni, yes they can scale fences. That is about the only way they can get into our garden here and we have had a young vixen visiting the garden for a few nights this past week. Luckily she has not been seen on the camera for a few nights now. There is a trick we have learnt when it comes to foxes and that is Male urine seems to put them off. So you need to convince your Other half to go for a wander around the garden. (Brian does it here at night) Luckily we aren't over looked. An alternative is you could collect and put in a spray bottle. A friend of mine suggested this and to spray the fences and hedges/bushes. This hopefully will keep them away for you. We haven't seen our fox since Brian has done his nightly duty.
  So sorry to hear about your hedgie. :(

Offline TORBS

• Hedgehog
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 March 2011_ 10:34:51 »
Thanks for advice Pat. The little hedgie that was injured is doing okay - just. I am giving her metacam pain killer once a day, Baytril twice a day and now started on Telmin. She needs to be fed Esbilac by syringe as has stopped eating the scrambled egg and Esbilac that I have been putting out for her.

Offline SoftTouch

• Global Moderator
  • I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
    • Hedgehog Bottom
  • Current Number of Hedgehogs in care: Anywhere from 20 to 200
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 March 2011_ 16:56:34 »
They run up the fence, don't jump it. If the fence is completely smooth and preferably has an overhang at the top they won't be able to get in. I can't see a rat taking the leg though as it would have to spend time doing it and the hog would curl. Are you sure it's not somebodies dog? we're already getting calls for dog attacks and strimmer injuries.
Gill
Hedgehog Bottom
covering West Berks, Berks, North Hants, South Oxon & East Wilts

help hedgehogs and other wildlife in your garden. Buy through Ark Wildlife