Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Wednesday 16 April 2014_ 11:09:22

Login with username, password and session length

Shop at Amazon

Shop at amazon through this link and help hedgehogs
Any commissions go to funding the hedgehog rescue centre

Search with Google

Ads by Google

Buy a Hedgehog House

buy a hedgehog house
 Help the hedgehog in YOUR Garden
Buy a hedgehog House

Donations

You can donate safely and securely by using the paypal service, just click on the button below.

Any amount no matter how small is gratefully accepted and needed to keep the Hedgehog Rescue Centre running

Author Topic: Advice on Ivermectin dose for foxes please  (Read 4461 times)

Offline Mouse

• Global Moderator
  • Current Number of Hedgehogs in care: 1
Advice on Ivermectin dose for foxes please
« on: Thursday 25 January 2007_ 17:28:12 »
I am about to start treating a mange ridden fox that's been visiting my brothers garden and wondered if anyone can help me to clarify the dosage.

The new vet at my practice is the wildlife vet and she is very enthusiastic and has checked the dose at the RSPCA centre that she also visits (I think she is newly qualified too). 

The dose she has told me to use is 0.2ml  undiluted per fox every 10 days (about 3 doses in all).  However, my Les Stocker book suggests diluting 1:9 and giving 0.2ml per kg (suggesting most foxes are 5kg).  Has anybody any idea which is correct as St Tiggywinkles will not advise me as I'm just a member of the public.  I am going to give the vets suggestion tomorrow but wanted to just check with you all on here first. 

Just to add to the doubt, the vet nurse said it was a stronger dose than she had administered to some foxes some years ago.

I know Ivermectin is nasty stuff so don't want to get it wrong but why is there so much conflicting advice, it just makes me wary.  Help!!  ???

Thanks
Ali x

Offline Derek

• Administrator
    • The Hedgehog
  • Current Number of Hedgehogs in care: 2
Re: Advice on Ivermectin dose for foxes please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 January 2007_ 17:41:46 »
Approx 0.2ml per fox assuming a fox is 5kg is about right

how are you intending to give it though

I have seen it injected into a piece of meat or chicken leg & left out for fox but it works much better if fox is caught & injected but that is normally impossible

if putting in food, it tastes bitter so it might not eat it although you do need to be extremely careful of dogs or cats getting hold of it

It is not licenced for use in anything except cattle, pigs & sheep & is known to have serious side effects in some breeds of dogs 

Having said all that I have heard of very successful use in mangy foxes by putting in food

I have seen it suggested every 5 days

10 days apart is a bit too long for mange mites & it will likely need 4 or 5 doses
Derek
   Thespykiller How to protect yourself and other  Security Advice
Find out all about the European Wild Hedgehog, what you can do to save it from extinction Hedgehog Rescue

Offline Mouse

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 January 2007_ 18:46:33 »
Thanks for your advice Derek.  I was intending to inject it into a sausage and get my husband to leave it out during the day (as that is when fox has been visiting).  I'm a bit paranoid about other things getting it so will instruct him to collect the sausage at the end of the day. 

The garden he's visiting belongs to my brother and the house is being done up which is why my husband is there all day, which is handy.  Foxy is curling up under a bush during the day so if I leave the baited sausage there hopefully he'll find it.  I got within about 6 feet of it yesterday via a neighbours garden and it bolted as soon as it saw me but as far as I could see he looked quite well apart from the normal look of a mangy fox.

The vet nurse told me it was collie dogs that seemed to react badly to it which is unfortunate as it's meant for cattle.  I have to admit to locking the teeny bit I have away as I have a bearded collie!

Boo

« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 January 2007_ 22:58:00 »
Good luck with that Ali, mange can be awful and is contagious!

Offline Mouse

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 January 2007_ 23:19:31 »
Thanks Boo, I'll try and get some pictures if I can but he is a crafty fox and the ones I took the other day make him look like an orange dot he was so far off  :)  I may try the next door neighbours garden tactic as I got quite close then but didn't have my camera.

Fingers crossed the treatment works, thats if I can even get him to eat the sausages at all!

Boo

« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 January 2007_ 21:19:49 »
Ali, found this on another forum, hope it might be helpful to you:

"Ironically I watched an xmas present DVD last night called "The Belstone Fox" really great film and I would recommend it to all. I have also looked at the Hunt Saboteurs too Mandy they look like a good organisation to join.

In a near by place called Hartlepool, someone has killed at least 10 foxes and removed their heads. Some sort of sadistic low life that obviously did not receive enough attention as a child.

If any of you see a fox with bald patches anywhere on its torso, it may have a disease called "sarcoptic mange". If you do think you are feeding a fox with this problem please contact me on :

dayceltic@aol.com - As I can direct you to a site where you will receive free medicine to cure this disease.

I think a ban on clubbing and shooting is our next goal. If you will be effected by violent images please don't look at the following link:

www.realca.co.uk "

Boo

« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 January 2007_ 20:49:02 »
OMG, just looked at the lowest site, not very pretty, in fact, very frightening!  I only posted it because of the sarcoptic mange link.  PLEASE DO NOT LOOK AT THE LOWER SITE, IT IS VIOLENT AGAINST HUMAN BEINGS, HUNT SABOTEURS!

Boo

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 February 2007_ 13:24:33 »
Bumped this one up, as it contains advice on mange in foxes.

"If any of you see a fox with bald patches anywhere on its torso, it may have a disease called "sarcoptic mange". If you do think you are feeding a fox with this problem please contact me on :

dayceltic@aol.com - As I can direct you to a site where you will receive free medicine to cure this disease. "

Offline Mouse

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 February 2007_ 23:56:08 »
I tried unsuccessfully to give the meds to the fox.  I left a baited sausage out all day and he didn't return.  I've seen him once, briefly, but I think he's on to me!

What website did you get this email address from Boo?  Just wondering if he might have a more other-creature-friendly suggestion of what to help rid the fox of mange as I can't risk leaving ivermectin baited sausages laying around a residential area for anything else other than foxy to eat :-\

Ali x

help hedgehogs and other wildlife in your garden. Buy through Ark Wildlife