Help and advice

If you need help or advice then please post a message here and we will help

• If you find a small hedgehog, or one lying out in the day.. DON'T IGNORE IT.. IT NEEDS HELP NOW! not tomorrow.
  • Do not leave it to see if it will go away.
  • Do not stick it under a hedge.
  • Pick it up, put it in a DEEP box or carrier with towels or an old fleece jumper,
  • KEEP IT WARM and quiet.
  • Call a rescue immediately
  • Please do not give it anything to eat until you have spoken to somebody, you can offer it a shallow bowl of water only.
  • Please remember these hedgehogs DO NOT ALWAYS HAVE THE LUXURY OF TIME.

A list of Hedgehog Rescue Centres can be found at:

Author Topic: What is best to use on tiny ticks  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Charlotte3s

• Newly born
What is best to use on tiny ticks
« on: Tuesday 08 August 2017_ 22:50:16 »
Sponsored Adverts

Hi everyone,
I have a young hedgehog that keeps visiting my garden and returning with ticks. Every time they have been relatively small but big enough to get off with the tick twister. The hedgehog is putting on weight every visit, but tonight it visited and it had loads of tiny ticks all around its back legs and it's bottom with some around the ears and two near the eye. There were so many all over and going up her tummy, and she's so wriggly that i feel there is no way i can get them all off her.
I came across another post where someone had a similar infestation and people were suggesting different things that could be used, some were reported to have made the ticks fall off completely I've done some searches regarding this and I've come across these two things are they suitable to use in this case?
Suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Ivomec - said ticks dropped off after 2 drops - all i have found is this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/PHARMAQ-Ivermectin-Drops-5ml-Treatment/dp/B00JVPZV9K

And F10 - is this one suitable - http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/F10-Germicidal-Wound-Spray-with-Insecticide-100ml/Productinfo/F10GWSWI/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwwqXMBRCDARIsAD-AQ2gA37U3XTp2f_qCwZgfkwEgCcSbrjF7s9SIUaomXJqzz8tI7jYofSAaAm7CEALw_wcB

As stated, these are suggestions I have come across is very old posts and i wanted to check what I could do.

Thank you.

Offline Pauly

• Hoglet
Re: What is best to use on tiny ticks
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 August 2017_ 15:52:29 »
The Ivermectin drops will make the ticks let go, but it takes around 24 hours. So on your wildie they will most likely drop off in her nest, which isn't ideal, but better than leaving them.

It's a very powerful drug so be careful - only use it on hogs over 500g. Use 1 drop per 500g of weight on the back of the neck (practice first, so you know how hard to squeeze the bottle to get just one drop out), once a week for 3 weeks. Ivermectin will also kill mites.

If she is otherwise healthy, to have that many ticks would probably mean she is sleeping in an old nest where ticks have bred. If possible, providing her with a clean hedgehog house in your garden would help.

Offline Charlotte3s

• Newly born
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 August 2017_ 21:08:59 »
Thank you so much for your reply.
I have many houses in my garden. 2 were used over winter by 2 Autumn juveniles that I took in to fatten up. My camera showed that they returned to it and hibernated successfully there, however bees have since taken up residence ! There looks to be webs covering the entrance so hopefully they have gone and I can clean them out.
I have a place where I can keep her and watch over the first treatment  (do the sticky tape up the walls trick to catch the ticks). I am reluctant to keep her for 3 weeks as she is doing so well on her own. Hoping I can put her back into one of the houses and she'll stay there like the others did. Does this sound okay ?
Thank you once again for the advice ! I will check her weight again when I see her. I think she is around 500g. I remember being very shocked at her weight as she was so small and felt so light, thought she would weigh much less !

Thank you!

Offline Pauly

• Hoglet
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 August 2017_ 16:40:41 »
If she's a regular in the garden there's no need to stress her by keeping her during treatment. You could just grab her to do the first drop, release her, then grab her again the same day next week for the second dose, etc.
It's important to weigh her each time, as her weight will change.

Offline Charlotte3s

• Newly born
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 August 2017_ 22:17:04 »
I managed to grab her tonight. A lot of the ticks have gotten big enough to use the small twister which has worried me. She was 536g and I've given her a drop. I've also marked her so I know which one is her for next time..but they've all got such different characters I'm sure I could spot her again regardless!
My fingers are crossed! 
Have managed to clear out the houses and will be setting them up again soon so I'm hoping she will take up residence there when tick free.

Thank you for your help!

Offline Pauly

• Hoglet
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 August 2017_ 21:31:00 »
That all sounds smashing, well done.

Offline Philips78

• Newly born
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 August 2017_ 23:45:00 »
What have you done to mark her I was thinking of doing the same.  I have seen the insulation off wires being used to slip over the quils with a bit of glue or a trimmed down cotton wool bud stem.

Offline Pauly

• Hoglet
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 August 2017_ 14:48:18 »
A dab of white emulsion paint on the spines is best (shows up very well under infrared lighting) or if you don't need that for CCTV a dab of nail varnish lasts longer - again, on the spines only.

Offline Charlotte3s

• Newly born
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 September 2017_ 21:36:06 »
I used a dab of tip ex .. thought about nail varnish but didn't think I would want to use it again if I'd brushed it on a hedgehog.  Haha.. finally managed to catch her for her third treatment and the little wriggle monster bit me!  :o Pfftt.. you're welcome.
Im concerned that she's still picking up a lot of little ones and I've cleared out my houses hoping she'd move in to tick free surroundings and she hasn't   :(

help hedgehogs and other wildlife in your garden. Buy through Ark Wildlife

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Monday 16 October 2017_ 23:08:32

Login with username, password and session length

help hedgehogs

Graphic garden width=

Useful products for hedgehogs and your garden wildlife

HandyKam

Watch hedgehogs, birds and all the wildlife in your garden
watch the hedgehogs and other wildlife in your garden

Now selling Hedgehog food and houses!

PetPlanet.co.uk

Buy through Ark Wildlife