Help and advice

If you need help or advice then please post a message here and we will help

• If you find a small hedgehog, or one lying out in the day.. DON'T IGNORE IT.. IT NEEDS HELP NOW! not tomorrow.
  • Do not leave it to see if it will go away.
  • Do not stick it under a hedge.
  • Pick it up, put it in a DEEP box or carrier with towels or an old fleece jumper,
  • KEEP IT WARM and quiet.
  • Call a rescue immediately
  • Please do not give it anything to eat until you have spoken to somebody, you can offer it a shallow bowl of water only.
  • Please remember these hedgehogs DO NOT ALWAYS HAVE THE LUXURY OF TIME.

A list of Hedgehog Rescue Centres can be found at:

Author Topic: Hedgehog won't use house  (Read 3998 times)

Offline hoglover!!

• Hedgehog
Re: Hedgehog won't use house
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 September 2017_ 20:33:47 »
Sponsored Adverts

You could always make a food/feeding station out of an modified upturned crate or there are purpose made ones available to buy.
Usually a hibernation/nest box such as the one you have (I assume) has a small ish inner chamber with a sectioned off entrance way. I can't see a hedgehog choosing to sleep amongst its food. Food would/could attract flies, maggots, mice and rats plus and other hedgehogs.
http://www.riversidewoodcraft.co.uk/hedgehogs/485-hedgehog-eco-feeding-station.html
https://thehedgehog.co.uk/feeding-hedgehogs/how-to-stop-cats-dogs-and-foxes-stealing-the-hedgehogs-food/
Patx

Offline mattc

• Newly born
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 September 2017_ 21:03:21 »
Thank so for the links, yes it has two compartments, we leave the food in one bit and there is some straw in the other, the hog has been in the nest part as it's been flattened but it doesn't stay in it.
Thanks again.
Matt

Offline mattc

• Newly born
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 September 2017_ 21:48:00 »
So this is the house I have,
I will make something like this and place it next to the house as a feeding station.

Offline mattc

• Newly born
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 September 2017_ 21:53:51 »
That didn't come out as I expected but I'm sure you get the just of what I'm trying to do but it leads on to another problem. We have a old nest near to where we leave food out, this was used by a hedgehog a few months ago to have babies in but has been vacated by mum and has been empty ever since. My question is, is it ok to move the old nest as it sits where I wish to site the new house and feeding station. I would like to get it all in place before they start looking for places to hibinate.
Thanks in advance.
Matt

Offline Julie

• Hedgehog
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 September 2017_ 23:42:23 »
For feeding station, I use an underbed storage box, cut a hole of approx 4.75" on one side towards an end (depending on where you want to site it).

I then just line it with a couple of sheets of newspaper and put the food in there, furthest away from the entrance.  Then position the feeder next to a fence/wall etc, put a roof tile over the entrance to make a sort-of tunnel and maybe some bricks near the end.  This is to help keep/deter cats from helping themselves. 

This arrangement is easy to keep clean, particularly as the hedgehogs are certainly not fussy re where they poo etc, the newspaper can be changed as often as necessary and the box can be washed out periodically.

I prefer these because of using the cameras - I can see what is going on inside ;)  Great fun ;)

See photo

Offline mattc

• Newly born
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 September 2017_ 00:08:37 »
Thanks for that,nice and easy solution there,I have some boxes like that spare, little job for tomorrow I think.

Offline tinkerbelle

• Juvenile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 September 2017_ 00:52:34 »
Great advice there from hoglover and Julie. I too use an underbed storage box as a feeding station. Easy to keep clean, you need a good supply of newspaper, and easy to keep the cats away from the food. I use tape around the cut plastic bits on the box where the entrance is to keep things nice and smooth for the hoggies little legs. Tinks

Offline hoglover!!

• Hedgehog
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 September 2017_ 16:00:33 »
Matt,
A previous site naturally chosen by a hedgehog sounds the ideal spot. 
Don't be disappointed if your house stays empty though.
More often than not hedgehogs choose to nest elsewhere. No doubt in situations we would not think suitable.
Over the years I've had as many as 8 houses, in different styles, dotted around my garden in places I've thought suitable.
During that time I have never had a mother and baby nest and rarely a hibernation nest. :sadn:
Good luck with it all.
Patx

Offline mattc

• Newly born
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 13 September 2017_ 17:27:07 »
I'm sure we'll get there, we try out best to give them a house with straw and a nice dry place for food and water, then they decide to live under the BBQ.  :ahah:

Offline mattc

• Newly born
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 21 September 2017_ 13:55:02 »
BINGO!! Hedgehog is in the house, well nest building anyway ( can't quite see if he's in there or not).I built a feeding station over the weekend and the hedgehog found it the first night, it turns out we have two in the garden they were seen on my patio eating some buiscuits the cat had left. Looks like I now. We'd to build another box so they can both have a nesting box.

help hedgehogs and other wildlife in your garden. Buy through Ark Wildlife

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Tuesday 21 November 2017_ 17:14:57

Login with username, password and session length

help hedgehogs

Graphic garden width=

Useful products for hedgehogs and your garden wildlife

HandyKam

Watch hedgehogs, birds and all the wildlife in your garden
watch the hedgehogs and other wildlife in your garden

PetPlanet.co.uk

Buy through Ark Wildlife

Shop at Amazon