Help and advice

If you need help or advice then please post a message here and we will help

• If you find a small hedgehog, or one lying out in the day.. DON'T IGNORE IT.. IT NEEDS HELP NOW! not tomorrow.
  • Do not leave it to see if it will go away.
  • Do not stick it under a hedge.
  • Pick it up, put it in a DEEP box or carrier with towels or an old fleece jumper,
  • KEEP IT WARM and quiet.
  • Call a rescue immediately
  • Please do not give it anything to eat until you have spoken to somebody, you can offer it a shallow bowl of water only.
  • Please remember these hedgehogs DO NOT ALWAYS HAVE THE LUXURY OF TIME.

A list of Hedgehog Rescue Centres can be found at:

Author Topic: How can we safely relocate a female hedgehog from our shed  (Read 792 times)

Offline JenCC

• Newly born
How can we safely relocate a female hedgehog from our shed
« on: Sunday 18 June 2017_ 00:11:34 »
Sponsored Adverts

Hi everyone,

We have a hedgehog living in our shed, Herbie. We think she is female as she had two babies last year, and there was also another adult hedgehog but most seem to have moved on and we think we only have Herbie still living in the shed.

Our garden and shed have been in a bit of disrepair for a few years, hence making a good hedgehog home! We have put cat food and water out but it never gets taken - we have a lot of snails in our garden so think they have plenty to eat! Other than that we leave them be, we are novices at looking after hedgehogs and they seem to be quite happy.

However, we are going to be renting our house out soon  and need to do the shed up (and fix the holes she uses to get in and out) in order to give tenants storage space. How can we safely move Herbie (and any other visitors)  so that she doesn't get trapped in the shed? We would love for her to stay as our garden seems ideal, and would happily get her a house so she can live just outside of the shed.

Any advice is much appreciated, as we very much want to keep her safe and happy! Thank you in advance, Jen.

Offline tinkerbelle

• Juvenile
Re: How can we safely relocate a female hedgehog from our shed
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 June 2017_ 23:48:07 »
If I were in your shoes I would on the day that I repaired the shed physically move the hog into a new homea (pre made hoggie home) nr to the shed making sure when I had finished working on the shed that she could not get back in.  I would have out lots of soft straw in the new home and some leaf litter nearby should she want to refurbish the new one herself.

help hedgehogs and other wildlife in your garden. Buy through Ark Wildlife

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Monday 16 October 2017_ 22:59:20

Login with username, password and session length

help hedgehogs

Graphic garden width=

Useful products for hedgehogs and your garden wildlife

HandyKam

Watch hedgehogs, birds and all the wildlife in your garden
watch the hedgehogs and other wildlife in your garden

Now selling Hedgehog food and houses!

PetPlanet.co.uk

Buy through Ark Wildlife