Help and advice

If you need help or advice then please post a message here and we will help

• If you find a small hedgehog, or one lying out in the day.. DON'T IGNORE IT.. IT NEEDS HELP NOW! not tomorrow.
  • Do not leave it to see if it will go away.
  • Do not stick it under a hedge.
  • Pick it up, put it in a DEEP box or carrier with towels or an old fleece jumper,
  • KEEP IT WARM and quiet.
  • Call a rescue immediately
  • Please do not give it anything to eat until you have spoken to somebody, you can offer it a shallow bowl of water only.
  • Please remember these hedgehogs DO NOT ALWAYS HAVE THE LUXURY OF TIME.

A list of Hedgehog Rescue Centres can be found at:

Author Topic: Worried New Owner  (Read 233 times)

Offline Amybug84

• Newly born
Worried New Owner
« on: Wednesday 04 October 2017_ 05:30:10 »
Sponsored Adverts

So I got my boy Hedgemous a little over a week ago and since getting him all I have done is worry! I’ve asked myself into a frenzy on Facebook yet I still have more questions and concerns.

1 - I’m terrified he will go into hibernation and wonder is it necessary to have a heat lamp some say it is some say it isn’t. He has a heat pad but it’s only been on twice since we got him. The central heating is set to 20-21 all the time.

2 - He sleeps so much! When we first go him he was up all night, pooping everywhere, now he barely gets up and all and doesn’t poop! I’ve bern down servers times and each time he’s been under his fleece sleeping and grumpy!

3 - Related to sleeping possibly, I think he’s quilling will this cause him to be extra tired? He also has quite a lot of dry skin and is itchy (no mites) would this also be caused by quilling?

4 - how hot is too hot for them his viv is alway between 21 and 24 however I often find him splattered out on his timummy so I’m worried he’s getting too hot?

5 - he won’t used his wheel at all, I’ve tried putting him in it he looks scared and jumps out so I put it in his cage and I think he was scared of it in there as he didn’t have a drink all night until I removed the wheel!

6 - he won’t eat anything other than cat biscuits! I’ve tried mealworms, broccoli and banana and he’s not intent!

Sorry for so many questions, there’s probably more I love my boy to bits but I’m scared senseless that I’m going to do something wrong or not spot when something isn’t right with him and hurt him.

Offline SoftTouch

• Global Moderator
  • I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
    • Hedgehog Bottom
  • Current Number of Hedgehogs in care: Anywhere from 30 to 200
Re: Worried New Owner
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 October 2017_ 09:30:57 »
OK so I'm going through these one by one but I have to question where the heck you got this animal from and why you have absolutely no prior care information. These are exotic animals and have specific needs.

1 - I’m terrified he will go into hibernation and wonder is it necessary to have a heat lamp some say it is some say it isn’t. He has a heat pad but it’s only been on twice since we got him. The central heating is set to 20-21 all the time.

Yes it is absolutely necessary to have some sort of heat or he will try to hibernate. These animals don't hibernate, they go into a coma and die. We are coming in to winter and it's crucial he has the heat he needs. Your room may be at 21°c right now but if the heating goes off he will chill very fast. As an absolute minimum you need a temperature controlled heat mat at one end of his cage/viv with his bed on top of it. I stress temperature controlled, you mustn't get one of the terrarium mats that never go off, they have been known to burst into flames when they get too hot. These work http://valentinavalentti.co.uk/pet-heat-pads%20/pet-heat-pad-with-lcd-display-rectangular

2 - He sleeps so much! When we first go him he was up all night, pooping everywhere, now he barely gets up and all and doesn’t poop! I’ve bern down servers times and each time he’s been under his fleece sleeping and grumpy!
He's cold, he probably doesn't like your food as it's different to what he's used to, the smells are all different. You've had him for a week, he doesn't know you. Do you have any idea how old he is?

3 - Related to sleeping possibly, I think he’s quilling will this cause him to be extra tired? He also has quite a lot of dry skin and is itchy (no mites) would this also be caused by quilling?
It's possible especially if you can see new quills coming through but it sounds like it may just be dry skin which is itchy. You can give him an Aveeno 'bath' using the Aveeno bath oil but you can't just chuck him in and you must not, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, leave him alone, not even for a second. The water must be warm, not hot, not cold, body temperature, in a jug, stand him in the sink and gently pour it over, pick him up pop him in a warm towel then put him back to bed on a heat mat so he doesn't chill.

4 - how hot is too hot for them his viv is alway between 21 and 24 however I often find him splattered out on his timummy so I’m worried he’s getting too hot?
How do you know his viv is between 21°c and 24°c? Is there a thermometer in there or are you going by your room temperature? If the latter, you can't do that especially if the heating goes off overnight. How big is the viv? What ventilation does it have? We normally keep our vivs at around 20-22°c but we have a thermometer so we can check the overall temperature. If you have a heat mat at one end and nothing at the other then there will be a difference. We keep the wheel at the cooler end so they keep warm by running and the bed end is heated to keep them warm when at rest but we watch the thermometer like a hawk. If you can get thermostatically controlled heating that's great but you need to choose carefully depending on the height of your viv so the hog doesn't get burned from a heat bulb too low down.

5 - he won’t used his wheel at all, I’ve tried putting him in it he looks scared and jumps out so I put it in his cage and I think he was scared of it in there as he didn’t have a drink all night until I removed the wheel!
He doesn't have eyesight that good! Unless the wheel smells funny he's not scared of it. What sort of wheel is it? how big is the viv? It should be as far away from his bed and food as possible. Have you been trying to force him to use it? Leave him and it alone. He will use it when he is ready.

6 - he won’t eat anything other than cat biscuits! I’ve tried mealworms, broccoli and banana and he’s not intent!
If I got a plate of worms and slugs and left that for you, you wouldn't eat either. Cat biscuits are a balanced diet and help keep their teeth clean, it is perfectly adequate. They do not need all this other stuff that people insist on chucking in their cages. As long as the kibble is small enough and the food is a good quality one then if that's what he wants to eat, let him. All of ours get biscuits of one kind or another.

Sorry for so many questions, there’s probably more I love my boy to bits but I’m scared senseless that I’m going to do something wrong or not spot when something isn’t right with him and hurt him.

You need to find one person who knows what they are doing, and stick with them. The more groups you join and the more Facebook pages you read the more rubbish you will find and the more confused you will get, some of the Americans on there have to be seen to be believed. I would suggest initially you link up with a lady called Tayer Witchell who has bred these animals and runs one of the groups. I repeat - pick one person and work with them. https://www.facebook.com/Pethaupigoghedgehogs
« Last Edit: Wednesday 04 October 2017_ 11:39:08 by SoftTouch »
Gill
Hedgehog Bottom
covering West Berks, Berks, North Hants, South Oxon & East Wilts

help hedgehogs and other wildlife in your garden. Buy through Ark Wildlife

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Wednesday 13 December 2017_ 20:47:30

Login with username, password and session length

help hedgehogs

Graphic garden width=

Useful products for hedgehogs and your garden wildlife

HandyKam

Watch hedgehogs, birds and all the wildlife in your garden
watch the hedgehogs and other wildlife in your garden

PetPlanet.co.uk

Buy through Ark Wildlife

Shop at Amazon