Help and advice

If you need help or advice then please post a message here and we will help

• If you find a small hedgehog, or one lying out in the day.. DON'T IGNORE IT.. IT NEEDS HELP NOW! not tomorrow.
  • Do not leave it to see if it will go away.
  • Do not stick it under a hedge.
  • Pick it up, put it in a DEEP box or carrier with towels or an old fleece jumper,
  • KEEP IT WARM and quiet.
  • Call a rescue immediately
  • Please do not give it anything to eat until you have spoken to somebody, you can offer it a shallow bowl of water only.
  • Please remember these hedgehogs DO NOT ALWAYS HAVE THE LUXURY OF TIME.

A list of Hedgehog Rescue Centres can be found at:

Author Topic: My dog attacked a hedgehog last night  (Read 30419 times)

Chriiiiiiiis

My dog attacked a hedgehog last night
« on: Sunday 02 August 2009_ 09:11:16 »
Sponsored Adverts

But think the dog come off worse as she had a few little cuts to her mouth, paws.

We don't usually have hedgehogs in our garden (because of the dog), they tend to keep in the garden next door. The dog dug a hole near to the fence. I don't know if the hedgehog was sitting on the other side of the fence or whether it crawled through the hole.

I heard the dog squealing, looked out of the window and she had it in her mouth - she is a Jack Russell so pounces when she sees any live animal smaller than her. She was shaking it, and then dropped it and was barking at it. She has never seen a hedgehog before.

Got the dog in as fast as we could and went outside to check on the hedgehog - it was on the patio, curled up so tightly. It didn't look like it had any injuries. It was breathing really heavily.

This is my first ever experience with a hedgehog, unfortunately a bad experience. I could not weigh it or anything. I didn't even know that you could touch them, I carefully put him onto a spade and put him back through the hole - he was still curled up - petrified - and then secured the fence.

He was about the size of a medium cabbage and from what I felt, was quite heavy.

I really hope he surivives...?  :-[

Offline Derek

• Administrator
    • The Hedgehog
Re: My dog attacked a hedgehog last night
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 August 2009_ 09:23:22 »
The hedgehog will be injured and you should have done something to help it  last night, not shoved it back through a hole

go into your neighbours garden & find it & then it must be taken to a vet or wildlife hospital for treatment

have a good look in the garden & see if you can find its nest and hope it hasn't died of shock or has any bite wounds on it that will soon get very infected
where are you

Offline sonic

• Hedgehog
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 August 2009_ 10:08:57 »
Please go and find the hedgehog.

Offline SoftTouch

• Global Moderator
  • I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
    • Hedgehog Bottom
  • Current Number of Hedgehogs in care: Anywhere from 30 to 200
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 August 2009_ 10:26:43 »
Please it is vital you find the hog. I have one here I've been treating all week with bite wounds from a dog or a fox, they only have to have a small wound from a canine tooth and they get appalling infections if it's not caught fast.

This little one is probably going to have to be put to sleep this morning as the infection has spread so badly.

If that one has an injury that is similar it will get fly strike and be eaten to death by maggots.

Get yourself a cardboard box, a pair of thick gloves and go get it, take it to the nearest vet. Tell them it's a wildlife injury. Where are you, we may have a carer near by who can take it.

Hogs are now on the official list and protected by law as we've lost so many their numbers are dangerously low. We have to save as many of them as we can. You are obviously an animal lover as you have a dog and hogs are sweet little things when you get to know them.
« Last Edit: Sunday 02 August 2009_ 10:53:07 by SoftTouch »
Gill
Hedgehog Bottom
covering West Berks, Berks, North Hants, South Oxon & East Wilts

Chriiiiiiiis

« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 August 2009_ 11:29:29 »
It would not be possible for me to find the hedgehog. The garden that I assume it wondered from is above knee height in overgrown grass, bushes, knettles - a neglected garden. No one has lived in the house for a long time.

I'm sorry if you do not agree with me, but I will not be going out to find the hedgehog. I appreciate that they are lovely creatures, though.

I have never been in that situation before. I did not know that you could take them in. I thought that putting him back through the hole would be the best thing for him, at the time.

The hedgehog looked to be okay, just scared. He did not look cut or have any marks on him.

Offline Stef

• Hedgehog
  • West Yorkshire Hedgehog Rescue
    • West Yorkshire Hedgehog Rescue
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 August 2009_ 11:36:43 »
I appreciate you thought you were doing the right thing Chris, we are all learners here. Would it be possible to put out some dog food tonight near the hole to see if you can tempt the hog out to give it a good check over and take it to a vets in the morning to be seen to?  ???
Facebook - West Yorkshire Hedgehog Rescue

Offline SoftTouch

• Global Moderator
  • I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
    • Hedgehog Bottom
  • Current Number of Hedgehogs in care: Anywhere from 30 to 200
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 August 2009_ 11:42:32 »
It's highly unlikely you's see any cut marks. It's usually a tiny puncture wound and they don't become obvious until infection sets in. That's a good idea of Stef's and may tempt him back through the hole to be grabbed.
Gill
Hedgehog Bottom
covering West Berks, Berks, North Hants, South Oxon & East Wilts

Chriiiiiiiis

« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 August 2009_ 11:47:24 »
I can try.

Do they normally come out at a specific time or should I just keep looking for him?

I felt really sorry for him last night. Was it right for him to stay curled up for so long? He didn't uncurl once - but was breathing.

Offline spikelet

• Hedgehog
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 August 2009_ 12:02:56 »
Hi Chris.

They'll stay curled up as a response to any perceived threat. Must have been very frightening so until he's certain any treat has gone, he/she would stay tightly curled and only slowly uncurl to check if the coast is clear.
But if you could try your best for him, there should be someone locally who can help him out. Well done for joining the forum and seeking advice. They are fragile despite their spines and a dog will follow its instincts.

Where in the world are you ?

You may be near enough for someone to come and help.

Rob

susancee

« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 August 2009_ 12:14:46 »
Hi Chris

The main time for them coming out is after dusk, although if he is injured he may well be out during the day time, so if you are home today please keep a bit of a vigil in looking out for him.  Food and water near the hole as suggested will hopefully encourage him to come back.

Curling is normal, their way of protecting themselves.  Although they normally run off after a short while, he was probably in shock

Which area do you live in?  If we know then someone on here may be able to point you in the direction of a carer. I was thinking of possibly you ringing one in advance in the hope that the hedgehog turns up later, so something can be done quickly for him.  
If you see him please pick him up (with a pair of gardening gloves) and put him in a deepish box with old towels or similar for bedding  - then straight back to us here or ring a carer
Good luck with finding him
Sue x
PS Sorry Rob, our posts crossed, said similar to you

help hedgehogs and other wildlife in your garden. Buy through Ark Wildlife

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Tuesday 17 October 2017_ 01:45:11

Login with username, password and session length

help hedgehogs

Graphic garden width=

Useful products for hedgehogs and your garden wildlife

HandyKam

Watch hedgehogs, birds and all the wildlife in your garden
watch the hedgehogs and other wildlife in your garden

Now selling Hedgehog food and houses!

PetPlanet.co.uk

Buy through Ark Wildlife