Help and advice

If you need help or advice then please post a message here and we will help

• If you find a small hedgehog, or one lying out in the day.. DON'T IGNORE IT.. IT NEEDS HELP NOW! not tomorrow.
  • Do not leave it to see if it will go away.
  • Do not stick it under a hedge.
  • Pick it up, put it in a DEEP box or carrier with towels or an old fleece jumper,
  • KEEP IT WARM and quiet.
  • Call a rescue immediately
  • Please do not give it anything to eat until you have spoken to somebody, you can offer it a shallow bowl of water only.
  • Please remember these hedgehogs DO NOT ALWAYS HAVE THE LUXURY OF TIME.

A list of Hedgehog Rescue Centres can be found at:

Author Topic: Deterring hedgehogs from our garden to save them!  (Read 13153 times)

hedgedog

Deterring hedgehogs from our garden to save them!
« on: Saturday 29 August 2009_ 21:38:47 »
Sponsored Adverts

Hi,

We have a dog who will attack hedgehogs who come into our garden. After a traumatic month after they first came out of hibernation this spring they had left our garden well alone (thank goodness). However, this week our dog has found 2 already and managed to get hold of them (both survived). We would like to actively deter them coming into the garden so that they don't risk getting attacked. Any advice on how to do this would be appreciated. Unfortunately one side of our garden is hedge and it not possible to completely fence it off and so although our dog can not get through it the hedgehogs can.

Thanks.

Offline clayts

• Hedgehog
    • Snuffle Lodge
  • Current Number of Hedgehogs in care: 14 at 20th Jul 13
Re: Deterring hedgehogs from our garden to save them!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 August 2009_ 21:48:01 »
How about turning this problem on its head and think about the root cause - your inquisitive dog ?!

Everyone on here will tell you to encourage the hogs in - they are desperately short of accessible gardens, of which yours is clearly one.

Are you not in a position to train your dog not to pick hogs up - some simple clicker training (reward him each time he leaves a hog alone) should solve the problem, maybe ?

Offline rachel

• Hoglet
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 August 2009_ 21:50:44 »
i don't think you will be able to deter the hogs unless you can build a wall to keep them out they'll keep coming

x

Offline spikelet

• Hedgehog
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 August 2009_ 23:03:43 »
Or fence a bit of your garden that your dog can't get to and put food and water otu for the hogs. They may pass throughm avoinding your dog.
But far better to train your dog not to attack them. Ours used to dig all around them and they'd end up at the bottom of a 2ft pit in the lawn. Needless to say, we had to stop him doing it and now he just sniffs after them.

Rob

Offline SoftTouch

• Global Moderator
  • I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
    • Hedgehog Bottom
  • Current Number of Hedgehogs in care: Anywhere from 30 to 200
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 August 2009_ 00:14:29 »
Gill
Hedgehog Bottom
covering West Berks, Berks, North Hants, South Oxon & East Wilts

Offline AlliH

• Hedgehog
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 August 2009_ 00:59:00 »
Hi Hedgedog  :)

That is a real problem and I'm not too sure what you can really do about it.   It's nice though that your taking the hedgehogs into consideration, a lot of people don't and would gladly let them have the hedgehog as a plaything!!   

My dog used to sniff and grumble and make lots of huffy noises at them, but after getting spiked on the nose a few times, even the huffing disappeared and she would just walk past them casually pretending they weren't there and she didn't really care!!!

As mentioned previously would it be possible to fence off even a small section of the garden, let it grow into a bit of a wildlife patch and place food and water on the hedgehog side of the fence.  Do you think they are getting in under the hedge?  If so somewhere along that side of the garden maybe.   

That way if you can do that hedgehog and dog can live in harmony and you won't have to fret anymore.

AlliHx

Offline Stef

• Hedgehog
  • West Yorkshire Hedgehog Rescue
    • West Yorkshire Hedgehog Rescue
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 August 2009_ 07:31:20 »
Is your dog sleeping in the garden?  ??? If not and you are just letting out to do its nightly business - think about taking it for a walk instead of letting it out in the garden on a night - problem solved  ;)
Facebook - West Yorkshire Hedgehog Rescue

Offline Emi

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 August 2009_ 10:21:31 »
I have a very dominant dog and it is really difficult to educate him. But even then, I did manage to train him not to touch hedgehogs in the garden. Yelling and telling him "no" when he does bad things doesn't work as he is dominant. Instead, rewarding him works much better. As he loves to eat, I give him a little snack everytime he listens to my commands. Also, if he has enough exercise during the day (a long walk), he is too tired to go near hogs during the night. My dog is a smallish dog but still he needs 1 to 2 hours of walk everyday. He can walk for 4 hours a day without a problem. So, if you have a big dog, you need to take your dog for a very long walk everyday.

Also, When my dog goes out in the garden during the night, I go out with him and stays with him all the time to make sure he doesn't touch hogs.

Dogs are very intelligent, they can learn.

Offline sonic

• Hedgehog
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 August 2009_ 11:45:38 »
There has been a lot of good advice given and i really hope you can resolve things.

My neighbour blocked off his garden to keep his kitten in but unfortunatley it kept hedgies out. The other night i heard and saw a hedgie desperate to get into my garden through a bit of wire. I found it distressing and so did the hedgie. I helped her through eventually.
What i'm saying is they have their routes and if the way gets blocked they will be very determined to find a way in. I'm just glad that this hedgie didn't hurt herself on the wire.

hedgedog

« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 August 2009_ 14:24:50 »
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply.

We got our dog from the RSPCA and are in the process of training him, he's old but learning. He's not at all aggressive to other animals, we're surrounded by fields of livestock that he's fine with, just hedgehogs for some reason (and certainly not small children!!). What we tend to do is let him in the garden after his evening walk (his third of the day) as he likes to lay out for an hour or so and have a sniff around. We're going to go for putting a fence in front of the hedge, it's a nice wide hedge so the hedgehogs will be able to still have a wander up and down underneath it (presumably they like it for all the insects, we've never seen them anywhere else in the garden) and we can put some food out for them too that way. If we can train him to leave them that will be fantastic and going to try the water option (delivered via a water gun) as he does not follow any of the commands he usually does once he's seen one. As for now his nightly garden wanders will have to be supervised.

L and J x 

help hedgehogs and other wildlife in your garden. Buy through Ark Wildlife

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Monday 27 February 2017_ 08:58:46

Login with username, password and session length

help hedgehogs

Graphic garden width=

Useful products for hedgehogs and your garden wildlife

HandyKam

Watch hedgehogs, birds and all the wildlife in your garden
watch the hedgehogs and other wildlife in your garden

Now selling Hedgehog food and houses!

PetPlanet.co.uk

Buy through Ark Wildlife